Thursday, February 19, 2009

What Else Have I Been Doing?

by Caroline


The last time I showed any of my knitting on this blog was back in November during the Disney trip. I had about an inch and a half of sock on the needles. That sock, a basic sock pattern in Trekking, slowly grew to the heel and a little past (maybe almost to the toe). It was a real slog for some reason. Well, I'm about to frog it. I like the yarn, a bright stripey colorway, and I have always enjoyed knitting socks but the basic sock pattern just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I think it is time for patterned socks. I've done only one patterned pair so far. So, I'll frog it, let it rest, and begin again with a pattern.

I've kept up with my monthy wee tiny sock swaps; I don't get those up on the blog often enough. September's Back to School was followed by October's Halloween theme.




I forgot to get pictures of November's wee tiny socks. Oops!

For December's swap I wanted to make a peppermint sock. I double stranded red and white cotton. I didn't get the look I wanted but I liked the effect. It was a killer to knit, though. I think the second sock is Trekking. The picture is awful, I apologize, Orange formica and fluorescent are not the best for pictures.


January's theme was winter and I chose a nubbly white to represent fresh snow, a blue-gray to represent the winter sky, and a metallic silver for sleet. By the time I was done I was steeped in cold. Too much cold.



For February, I decided to warm things up: Watermelon, Pink Lemonade, Dayglow, and Blue Hawaii. I threw some patterns and textures in there, too. I'm very happy with them.


I started and frogged a ski hat for a friend's brother. I was hoping to get it done this winter but I don't know if it will happen. I started a baby sweater in Sokatta; the sleeves and ribbing around the edge are left. Well, also I need to block and sew the pieces together. I still have the Doctor's Bag from Knit2Together on the needles. I started the Lisha Lace Scarf from SleepyEyes designs while I was in Chicago and absolutely love it! I am using a green Suri Alpaca that I bought in VA at the Fall Fiber Festival. I started the Dream in Color Sleepwalker Socks (what a great pattern) using an awesome pink on pink from Spunky Electic, but I don't have enough yarn for this pattern. I'm going to frog this as well and use the yarn for Fetching Mitts. I did manage to finish a project: the iPod Touch Sock, a free pattern on Ravelry from smariek knits. And now I am also starting a couple pairs of kids socks for a co-workers daughters with Sereknity's Watermelon.





I don't seem to be finishing much, except for wee tiny socks, but until I started listing everything I hadn't realised how many projects I had going. Oh, and on top of all that, I picked up the drop spindle again. I haven't touched the drop spindle in months. This is not a skill that can be allowed to sit. It took me a while to get going and, not that I was real consistent before, but I was all over the place with thick and thin. But I did enjoy my spinning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tiny wee socks are so clever and beautiful, and you've done so many. In fact I'm impressed by how many projects you've started, although we'll be saying goodbye to some. Can't wait to see your "big" socks

havfaith said...

Those Halloween socks are adorable! May have to make some adult-size versions of those since I finally started knitting socks this year. =)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love the Halloween wee socks so adorable:)((((Hugs)))) Darcy